Friday, May 20, 2011

WEEK #8 / TAKE-OUT BOX WITH NOODLES SHRIMP & PEAS

TAKE-OUT BOX WITH NOODLES,SHRIMP & PEAS
James Aponovich
oil on canvas, 18" x 12", 2011

This is a study for a larger overall painting, Chinese Take-out. Most of the time I don't bother doing individual paintings of the larger concept, however,in this case I am dealing with three separate groups of objects; fortune cookies, take-out box and bowl of orange slices. They can all be separate paintings, but can they work together in one painting? Can the sum of the parts be greater than the parts? We will see.


Tonal Study: TAKE-OUT BOX WITH NOODLES,SHRIMP & PEAS
James Aponovich
Graphite on paper, 3.25" x 4.75", 2011

In this sketchbook study the box is drawn directly from life.
The box is drawn in the "correct"
shape (how it looks), but in the painting I have elongated it, making it a bit more elegant perhaps. I never aim to merely copy what I see, rather to have it become a starting point towards a more idealized form. This is what is often referred to as "artistic license", a much overused term.



Linear Compositional Study: CHINESE TAKE-OUT
James Aponovich
Graphite on paper, 5" x 8", 2011

In this drawing I have further developed the composition from an earlier sketch ( see week 6).
This is the classic Golden Section rectangle. It is based on a ratio that remains constant and is infinite.
The famous Fibonacci Series (2,3,5,8,13,21...etc) is based on it. It is the ratio of growth in nature and the most harmonious rectangle...I have always found it to be a little long though.



CHINESE RESTAURANT
Max Weber, 1915
oil on canvas, 40" x 48"
Whitney Museum of American Art

Max Weber's vision of a Chinese restaurant was influenced by the Cubism of Picasso and Braque who were painting in Paris at the time. By far, Cubism was the most profound art movement of the last century. What Einstein was doing in physics, Picasso was doing in painting.




Stove Top Lunch

I should note that I made the noodle dish. The take-out from Lucky Panda did not quite make it! So, this became lunch for Beth and me... after I painted it.







copyright 2011 James Aponovich

No comments:

Post a Comment