Sunday, March 4, 2012

WEEK # 49 / STUDIO STILL LIFE

Studio Still Life
James Aponovich
oil on panel, 16" x 12", 2012

Whew! This was one difficult picture to paint. It is a combination of Trompe l'oeil with standard three dimensional forms. The rules of both styles are different yet very specific and unrelenting. The painting is composed of "stuff" on the wall of my studio plus objects on the shelves. It ain't what you got, it's how you put it together.

THE STORY OF ART
IS
THE ART OF THE STORY

Sometimes. As you may have already figured out, many of my still lifes have complex underlying compositional structures and / or numerical puzzles. I will often give hints. In this case it's the three push pins next to the playing card.
Why the Queen of Hearts?
Red Yellow Blue

Much of this painting is monochromatic, white, black, and shades of grey. Since The Queen has the three primary colors plus white and black I painted her first. Then I keyed my colors and values to attempt to balance the composition. Yellow tissue, blue Chinese vase and red ribbon are meant to pull those objects forward. I painted the drawings and compass in neutral greys to help me along. The important transition is the Zurbaran postcard behind the vase leaning against the wall, uniting one plane with the other.






copyright 2012 James Aponovich
All content copyright James Aponovich and cannot be reproduced
without written permission.


No comments:

Post a Comment