Sunday, March 11, 2012

WEEK #50/ Sliced Cantaloupe

Sliced Cantaloupe
James Aponovich
Oil on panel, 9" x 12", 2012

I habitually carry a sketchbook wherever I go. You just never know what you will see that may become the next painting. It is very difficult to force a painting, usually it just appears. The trick is to be ready and to recognize it. That split second is inspiration, the rest is work, in other words, craftsmanship.
Recently, I was drawing with my friend Bob and as he was sketching a bunch of oyster shells, I noticed an old, not very valuable, Chinese bowl on the table. His wife, Sylvia, was slicing a melon.....so....


Study, Sliced Cantaloupe
James Aponovich
Graphite on paper, 9" x 7", 2012

.....I started drawing. Since Beth and I were going to New York for a few days
to attend The Armory Show, I had to make this painting using only elemental contrasts.

Orange - Blue
Dark - Light
Hard - Soft

Pretty basic stuff, but sometimes the best dishes are made with the fewest ingredients.








copyright 2012 James Aponovich
All content / images are copyright James Aponovich 2012
and may not be used without written permission.




No comments:

Post a Comment